Access Management console is required to publish application streaming package in XenApp.
Below are the steps required to publish streaming package.
- Citrix Access Management console should be installed on the XenApp farm.
- Person who is publishing application icon should have full administrative rights on Access management console and should have atleast read access rights on the shared location where streaming package is stored.
- Application users should also has read access rights on the shared location where streaming package is stored.
- Streaming client should be installed on the user’s machine.
- Double click on the desktop icon “Access Management Console” or launch the exe “CmiLaunch.exe” from "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Citrix\Access Management Console – Framework\". Citrix Access Management console window will be launched. Left side of window will have tree structure as shown below. It has a node for Presentation server and under it, there is a node for XenApp farm. It has different folders under it to manage the farm. For this article, our interest is the “Applications” folder under it.
- Right Click on “Applications” folder and Select New –> Create Folder as shown below:
- Following screen will appear: Enter the application name and click ok. It will create “Office” folder under the applications node.
- Right click on “Office” folder and select New –> Publish application. “Welcome” screen will appear: Click Next
- “Name” screen will appear, add the following details and Click Next: Display Name: MSOffice – Word | Application description: MSOffice – Word
- “Type” screen will appear, Select the radio button for “Application” and then select radio button for “Application from a server”. From Server application type dropdown, select “Streamed to server” and Click Next.
- “Location” screen will appear, browse to the application profile location and then select the required application from Application to launch dropdown list and then click Next.
- “Servers” screen will appear, Click on “Add” button to add all the servers where you want application to stream to. By stream to, I mean, application will be run in isolation from that server. Servers added here will be having load balancing.
- “Users” screen will appear for adding users who will have access rights on the published icon. Click Add button and it will open “second screen”. On that screen, click on “Add List of Names” button to add the users. “third Screen” will appear. Enter the users into the screen and click “Check Names” button to see the validity of the entered users. Once verified click Ok. Click Ok on second screen and click Next on First screen. Note: You can add any number of users from the below screens but the best practice is to have active directory group containing all the required users and that group can be added directly to the below screen. With active directory group it is very easy to manage users. By manage I mean, addition and deletion of users.
- “Shortcut Presentation” screen will appear. Enter “Office” folder in the textbox for “Client application folder”. If the user access is through web ICA, do not check the checkbox for “add to the client’s start menu” and “add shortcut to the client’s desktop”. Note: You should enter the folder name that you have created at step 2 above. Users will see the application icon under this folder in their web ICA session. Check for the application icon displayed on this screen. If you want to change it, click on change icon button, following screen will appear, select the appropriate radio button and get the required application icon and click Ok and then click Next to the parent screen.
- “Publish immediately” screen will appear, select the checkbox for “Configure advanced application settings now” and click next.
- Access control screen will appear: Keep the default options and click Next.
- “Content redirection” screen will appear: select the required extensions and click Next. Note: For more information, refer to my article: https://mdaslam.wordpress.com/2009/09/09/associating-published-applications-with-file-types/
- Alternate profiles: Keep the default value and click Next.
- “Limits” screen will appear: Depending on the application architecture and the bandwidth, check the checkbox for “Limit instances allowed to run in server farm” and then add Maximum instances. Click Next.
- “Client options” screen will appear: Select the different options based on your requirements like the bandwidth, security or printing requirements. Click Next. Note: For Client audio, refer to the article https://mdaslam.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/xenapp-legacy-audio/
- “Appearance” screen will appear: Select the appropriate session window size and required color depth. Click Finish. Note: For seamless mode, selecting any value under “session window size” will not make any difference. For Color depth, refer to my article: https://mdaslam.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/xenapp-colors-depth-in-published-application-properties/ After this step, application icon will be published and available under “Office” folder. Users who are given access to this icon, will be able to see it in Web ICA session.